Thursday 14 November 2013

Why Today's Lesson In Theatre Was Successful

Today in theatre, we performed our own scenes that we devised by taking out 8 lines from the play 'Blackout. The lines that we used were:


  • Everything went black 
  • Blackout
  • Imagine
  • It was like being in a dream
  • You dirty beast
  • You shake your head
  • Death to the gimp!
  • You open your eyes 
Our scene was about a character having a nightmare and there were voices trying to intimidate them. To perform this scene, we used end on stage as the theatrical configuration.

I believe as a whole, not only did our (Holly, Chloe, Clay & I) scene go well but everyone else's did as we were able to have complete control on what to do. It allowed us to be creative, think deeply into how to perform our scenes and try to co-operate versatility within our performances. 

Tackling a play with such freedom to interpret it any way possible through your body allows you to be abstract, flexible and open to things with your body. For example, having a scene about a nightmare can allow you move in peculiar ways to represent the scariness of a nightmare and etc.

During rehearsals for this scene, I believe that we all worked well with each other as we tried to include everyone's ideas and contributions. We did this by sitting in a circle and taking turns to see what ideas we had. Afterwards, we would come to a conclusion of what we were going to do making sure everyone was happy. My strengths in this exercise was being able to give ideas to the rest of the group, thinking of choreography for the scene and making sure everyone agrees with an idea. However, my weakness was that I wasn't confident in the character I was playing: the character having the nightmare. As my role had more movement rather than words, I had to show emotion through my body predominantly

In order to improve for future exercises, I have to allow myself to be open to any role I'm given regardless if I'm not used to the role. Doing this will boost my skills as an actress, improve my versatility and will make me feel more comfortable and more open-minded to a variety of roles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment